Sunday, June 12, 2016

*Spoiler Free Review* -- Burning by Danielle Rollins





**Note: I received a copy of this book from the author in exchange for an honest review.** -- I want to be clear about something here, if I had known that Danielle Rollins and Danielle Vega were one in the same, I would have picked up this book on my own. I love Vega's writing style and characters, and that definitely carried into this novel.

Now let's get into this, here is the Goodreads synopsis: 
    After three years in juvie, Angela Davis is just a few months shy of release, and she'll finally be free from the hole that is Brunesfield Correctional Facility. Then Jessica arrives. Only ten years old and under the highest security possible, this girl has to be dangerous, even if no one knows what she did to land in juvie. As strange things begin happening to Angela and her friends that can only be traced to the new girl's arrival, it becomes clear that Brunesfield is no longer safe. They must find a way to get out, but how can they save themselves when the world has forgotten them? 

I gave this book 4.75 stars. 


This book had the same creepy tone as The Merciless and Survive the Night, two books I loved, and the main character was just as interesting to get to know. The story centers around Angela who is serving time at a juvenile correction facility and her roommates, Issie and Cara, as they have two new people enter their lives--Jessica, a very young offender, and a new adult who wants to give the girls in the facility an opportunity. We also have several other "inmates" and guards who add depth to the surrounding to the story. I really liked Angela, she was funny and caring, and her story was moving. We get to learn about her father in the beginning, and see her family relationships and the struggles there even though we don't really meet them. That takes talent, in my opinion. 

The opening terrified me, and the contrast to Angela's current life were stark. My only wish was that the story be longer, because I feel like there were some things left unanswered (but this is pretty common for Vega/Rollins). I wish we knew more about the historical characters that are brought up in the "opportunity" and that we got to see the development of decisions made by Cara and Issie. 

Overall, I really enjoyed this. I'm always up for a good scare or a conspiracy, and this book has that. The juvie aspects were well-written, and I really liked Angela's character, family, and story. It's difficult to talk about this book without giving away the story, but I would say that if you like books that are dark, with some dark humor, and characters you want to root for, check this out. 

Also, Danielle Vega's new book--the follow-up to The Merciless, is coming out soon and look at this phenomenal cover! I loved The Merciless, and I can't wait to continue with this story!!



   

I seriously cannot wait to get my hands on this book. The design and style of Vega's novels is so amazing--and this looks like it'll be no exception. Check out The Merciless II HERE!


No comments:

Post a Comment