Monday, April 4, 2016

March Wrap-Up + April Pre-Orders!









I read a total of 7 books in March, and overall, they were pretty great. Only two of them were books that we on my TBR shelf, the rest were all pre-orders, an ARC, or books I bought in the month of March.


---




Exit, Pursued by Bear by E. K. Johnston

You can read my full spoiler-free review HERE. Overall, I adored it. E. K. Johnston has my sense of humor, and I'm really into all the characters that she creates. I recommend it. I gave it 4.5/5 STARS. *I received an ARC of this book in exchange for an honest review.*


The Only Pirate at the Party by Lindsey Stirling

My husband really likes Lindsey's music, and I'm not a huge fan of it, but he doesn't enjoy reading, and I saw this, and the cover and title drew me in, and I thought I could share some facts and stories with him. Overall, I didn't love it. A lot of that probably has to do with the fact that I don't know that I like Lindsey Stirling all that much. She has truly struggled, and there are parts of the book that moved me to tears. However, a lot of this book is condescending and hyper aware of "special-ness" that she feels she has. Lindsey is friends with Felicia Day, who I adore, and who's memoir sits on my favorites shelf, so I had high hopes. Felicia also struggled, but she passed these stories in a way that wasn't overly braggy. I gave this 2.5/5 STARS.


Clockwork Prince by Cassandra Clare

I finally got through this one. I'm not in love with this series, but I think a lot of that is that I'm not a steampunk lover. Also, I feel like I'm re-reading The Mortal Instruments. I gave this 3/5 STARS, it's fine.



Let's Pretend This Never Happened by Jenny Lawson

You might remember that I read Furiously Happy by Jenny Lawson last month, and said that I planned to read her first memoir. Well, I did. So I can check that off my to-do list. Jenny Lawson is my new obsession. 4/5 STARS.



Remembrance by Meg Cabot

First, I'm so happy this book exists. It brought full circle a series that basically defined my reading life in junior high and early high school. I adored it. My only issues were really with the fact that I've grown up and Suze hasn't. Also, I didn't feel like Jesse was anywhere near a three-dimensional character. He had more of a part as a ghost than in this novel. I gave this 4/5 STARS.



Clockwork Princess by Cassandra Clare

3/5 STARS. This series is fine. I just keep saying that. I thought the ending was a cop out, and a perfect example of the things I dislike about the Shadowhunter books as a whole. I didn't like the story or the characters, but I powered on because I plan to read Lady Midnight. It was ok.


 
The Bassoon King by Rainn Wilson

I liked this. I enjoy getting to know actors I love beyond their movies and tv shows. This was especially interesting because I, of course, love Rainn Wilson for his portrayal of Dwight Schrute from The Office. As Rainn tells his stories of growing up and getting his start in acting, he explains the parts that impacted his performance in this role. It was phenomenal to hear behind the scenes facts of Hollywood and The Office. I especially enjoyed the tangents he would go on about common courtesy or little known facts. I gave it 4/5 STARS.

----

April Pre-Orders!

I have seven books pre-ordered for April. Geez.

April 5: 



Tell Me Three Things by Julie Buxbaum

I very, very rarely pre-order contemporaries, especially by authors I haven't read before. But this synopsis, and cover, just drew me in.


Tell the Wind and Fire by Sarah Rees Brennan

I've heard great things from the ARCs that went out. I can't wait to sink my teeth into it.

April 12:



Lady Renegades by Rachel Hawkins

I'm so nervous about this book. Rebel Belle was so amazing, and Miss Mayhem was a little disappointing. I need this to fix the problems that Miss Mayhem left behind.



The Glittering Court by Richelle Mead

Duh. I can't wait!!

April 19: 



Emerge by Tobie Easton

Sometimes I want to give books a chance just because their authors are so great, Emerge is one of those instances. Mermaids aren't usually my jam, but Tobie Easton is fantastic. So...



Scarlett Epstein Hates It Here by Anna Breslaw

That's two contemporary pre-orders by two authors I've never read before in one month. Let's hope they both live up to the synopsis.

April 26: 


The Star-Touched Queen by Roshani Chokshi

This just sounds so darn interesting. I was trying to par down my orders for this month, and I just couldn't let this one go.



No comments:

Post a Comment