Wednesday, February 3, 2016

January Wrap-Up + February Pre-Orders!







 

Overall, January was a pretty good reading month. As the first month where I accept that I will reader fewer books this year overall, and then end up reading a pretty high number--9 in total, I would say it was a success. I enjoyed most of what I read.
 

 
These are just the physical books. 
 


First & Then by Emma Mills

I had really high expectations for this book, and it didn't let me down too much. I loved the romance in this story, and the characters had great personalities. The physical descriptions seems a little lacking to me--I'd like more information that "built like a house" or "skanky," but the vagueness didn't take me out of the story. I gave this 4/5 STARS.



Legacy of Kings by Eleanor Herman

There was A LOT going on in this book. There are a lot of characters, there is a lot of story, and some of it is historical. I really enjoyed the characters, although I sincerely feel like there are too many of them. Perhaps not everyone needs POV chapters? I don't know who I would cut, but I know that it got confusing after a while. Especially with three young girls who all sound exactly the same. In general, I enjoyed this book, and will continue with the series. I gave it 4/5 STARS.



Gone Wild by Jodi Lundgren

I was given an eARC of this book via NetGalley from the publisher in exchange for an honest review. And I hate doing this, but I didn't love it. The premise was a great one, and one that I was actually looking forward to. But the characters were very one note, and had absolutely no growth whatsoever. In fact, the female main character might have been more mature when the book started. 2/5 STARS. Also, I read this book in about four hours. Which isn't bad, for a novella. I don't know how many pages would be in a physical copy, but it can't be more than 150.



Unhinged by A. G. Howard

I liked this way more than I liked the first book, although the misconceptions and mischaracterizations of the mental health portions are still infuriating. Because this is a sequel, I won't go too far into it, but I still don't like Jep, but I can now see why people like Morpheus. I ended up giving it 3/5 STARS.



Killing Sarai by J. A. Redmerski

I started this as part of the In the Company of Killers Readalong hosted by Lainey and Riley. I didn't hate this book, I liked the overall idea of it more than I liked the execution. I will admit that this is what a book about an assassin should read like, however, I just didn't fall in love with the characters the way some others have. I read it pretty quickly, and started the first chapter of the second book, and might read it. Overall I gave it 4/5 STARS.



Bossypants by Tina Fey

I have had this on my shelf for literally four years. So I got the audiobook, which is only about six hours long, by the way, and listened to it while I cleaned. I really enjoyed it. It was funny, I liked learning more about Tina. I think she threw some shade, and I think it was a very surface level memoir, but I ended up giving it 4/5 STARS.



Passenger by Alexandra Bracken

This book really drug on for me. I mean, I loved the premise, and I liked Etta a lot, but it took forever to read and it felt sluggish. Although, I kind of felt that way through most of The Darkest Minds series, and that's just how Bracken writes. I appreciated the time travel rules, and unlike most, I was ok with how the romance played out. I really liked Sophia, and I hate Etta's mother. I will continue on with the series, of course, even though I only gave this 3/5 STARS.
 


Proposal by Meg Cabot

I'm happy I saw this was a thing so that I had some prep for Remembrance, out tomorrow! This is a novella that works to bridge the gap between the last Mediator novel and the new one. I love Suze and Jesse, and the whole crew, and I hope we get more of her brothers in Remembrance. I gave this 4/5 STARS, because Suze hasn't matured a ton, and the purpose of this story was a little off for me.
 


Shatter Me by Tahereh Mafi

So. I read this. I've had this since it came out in the original cover. I suck. It was fine. I would have liked it more if I'd read it when I bought it. But, whatever, can't go back and fix it. I gave it 3.5/5 STARS.

---

I have TWELVE books pre-ordered for February. What can I say? It's a good month for books. I have an addiction. Leave me alone.

I don't have comments on all of these, because honestly I don't know a ton about most of them. If it sounded good, I pre-ordered it this month. There's a lot of fantasy and fantasy-lite here, and I like to know very little about those.

February 2

Remembrance by Meg Cabot


 I actually hate this cover, but, it's in theme with the rest of the books in this series. It's pretty throwback-y to old school paranormal YA. And I cannot wait!

Staflight by Melissa Landers

 
I cancelled my Amazon pre-order for this because the author did a virtual signing, so I ordered it that way. This was kind of my birthday present to myself.

Assassin's Heart by Sarah Ahiers

 
 
Salt to the Sea by Ruta Sepetys



February 9

Glass Sword by Victoria Aveyard


**UPDATE: I have since cancelled my pre-order of this book. I re-read the description, and it just doesn't sound like something I want to pick up. I didn't love the first one, and it was wholly unoriginal. I'm sure there will be enough raving reviews out there to supplement my lack of one. The hype for this book is so off-putting that I can't express my need to not read it right away.**

I almost didn't buy this. But I feel like I'm giving it a second chance, I usually give debut authors a second chance. Plus, then I can feel better about hating the over-hyped-ness. But I go back and forth, I still might cancel this pre-order.

Blackhearts by Nicole Castroman


Pirates!

February 16

The Girl from Everywhere by Heidi Heilig


Riders by Veronica Rossi


This synopsis isn't my thing. I almost didn't pre-order this. but the synopsis for Under the Never Sky turned me off to reading it for almost three years. I trust Rossi.

The Shadow Queen by C. J. Redwine


I haven't read Redwine's Defiance series, although the first book is on my TBR shelf, but I've heard amazing things about this book.

February 23

Into the Dim by Janet B. Taylor


The Forbidden Wish by Jessica Khoury


File this under the same comment as The Shadow Queen. I own every single one of Khory's books, haven't read them, but I've heard so much buzz, and I love re-tellings.

Firstlife by Gena Showalter


Again, I own the entire Alice in Zombieland series, haven't read them, but this synopsis just pulled me in. I couldn't say no.

What about you, do you have anything pre-ordered for February? Or do you have more willpower than I do?







No comments:

Post a Comment