Tuesday, November 3, 2015

The Revolution of Ivy by Amy Engel **Spoiler Free Review**

This will not contain spoilers for The Revolution of Ivy, however, it WILL contain spoilers for the first book, The Book of Ivy. Also, I did receive an eARC of this book via NetGalley from the publisher, however, I already had a physical copy of the book pre-ordered.

If you haven't read The Book of Ivy yet, it's one of the best books I've ever read, and you can read my spoiler-free review HERE. And if you haven't read it yet, READ IT! Now. Seriously. If for nothing other than these covers:

 

My love for The Book of Ivy is pretty well documented, it is one the best slow burn romance and one of the most realistic romances I've ever read.  Best of all, the relationship between Ivy and Bishop isn't just a distraction or another piece of the story, their marriage and relationship is PIVITOL to the plot.  Ivy is supposed to play the good wife and then murder her husband. But like I said, SLOOOOOW BUUUURRRRN, so that obviously doesn't go as planned.

The Book of Ivy follows Ivy's change from a puppet for her sister and father (one who has to kill the unknown Bishop Lattimer), to realizing that she is strong in her own right and her family's ideas may not be the most accurate representation of what was going on within her community. As Ivy learns and relaxes into her life with Bishop she does have to actively fight against her own family, and in the end she takes the ultimate stand and sacrifices her life for them.

At the end of The Book of Ivy, Ivy is cast outside the walls of Westfall and has to fight to survive.  It's been almost a full year since I read the first book, and it picked up exactly where the first one left of, if this were many other authors I would have been fighting confusion for at least a chapter or two.  But not with Amy Engel. From the first moment of sadness and despair that Ivy has, I instantly felt connected back to the people and the characters.

I cannot say enough how much I love Ivy as a character. She is literally one of the top 5 characters I have ever read in terms of honesty, realistic emotion, and intelligent decisions. Within the first few chapters Ivy truly has to fight for her life, and the author so vividly and accurately portrays those fights and feelings that my heart was racing from behind the screen of my Kindle. I was LEGITIMATELY TERRIFIED for a fictional character! How often does that happen? Not often. (Unless you're talking fantasies like Falling Kingdoms or Game of Thrones where things happen at any time, but this isn't one of those, this follows ONE PERSPECTIVE.) Normally my logic wins out and I think, "Jess, they are not going to kill the main character at the 25% mark." But MAYBE!

Overall, this book was quite different from The Book of Ivy but with similar themes, the same amazing characters, new, extremely well-written characters, and a conclusion that will leave fans of Ivy (and her strength) happy. I highly recommend this book, and I gave it 5/5 STARS!

---

A SECOND NOTE ABOUT ENTANGLED TEEN:

At the end of my review of The Book of Ivy I had a note praising Entangled Teen on their choice and originality with this author, and a few others I adore (especially Alison Kemper who writes, hands down, the best zombie books I've ever read). I want to continue that here for anyone who didn't read my previous review. This publisher is doing phenomenal things, and the majority of their Young Adult titles are well-written, creative, and original (at least the ones I've read). I recommend checking out their books and following them closely.



 


No comments:

Post a Comment