Monday, November 2, 2015

October Wrap-Up + November Pre-Orders!








In general this month I got hit with a lot of bait and switch. More than a few times I went into a book expecting something, and got something completely different and thoroughly unenjoyable. Overall I read 9 books, but I wouldn't say I enjoyed reading most of them.


Every Last Word by Tamara Ireland Stone
The thing about this book that hooked me is that the main character, Sam, isn't a popular teen girl who develops OCD, or who descends into obsessive spirals. This book is about Sam, who has had Pure-O OCD for the majority of her life dealing with it. This is about a girl trying to normalize a mental health issue she has been diagnosed with, treated for, and working through every day. I really enjoyed this, and gave it 4.5/5 STARS.



A Thousand Pieces of You by Claudia Gray

I was pleasantly surprised by this book. I've put off reading it for a long time because, honestly, it sounded silly to me, and I haven't loved other books by this author. However, I really enjoyed this. It was fast paced, steeped in some cool sci-fi elements, and had a nice romance. I gave it 4/5 STARS.



Six of Crows by Leigh Bardugo

This was slow for me at first, as most fantasy has been lately, but once it picked up, it picked up in  a big way. I'm obsessed with Nina and Matthias, and I can't wait for the second book. I gave this 5/5 STARS.



The Rest of Us Just Live Here by Patrick Ness

The description of this book was pretty misleading. I won't say that I didn't like this book, because I did, it was ok. I loved the sibling relationships, and the exploration of friendships, however, the overall plot of the book wasn't great. It felt disjointed and like it was trying too hard. There is just a little too much of every single contemporary element in this, because that's what it is, this is a 100%, pure contemporary, coming of age novel about a selfish and self-centered protagonist. I would have liked it more if the promised fantasy elements (which were non-existent and almost mocking) were made out to be a metaphor for the character's self-centric mindset. I gave it 2.5/5 STARS.


The Revolution of Ivy by Amy Engel

I received an eARC of this via NetGalley, and my God...it was amazing. I devoured it much the same way I devoured The Book of Ivy. This duology has blown my mind and reminded me that good dystopian is still out there and that slow burns in YA exist. 5/5 STARS.




Happily Ever After by Kiera Cass

I gave this 3/5 STARS. It was ok, if you've read the books, you'll enjoy this. The only newly released novella was The Favorite, the rest were all released on Kindle, and I didn't love it. The Prince and The Guard are the best of the 4 novellas, and I enjoyed the epilogue to The One and the Where Are They Now? I thought the scenes from Celeste's perspective lacked thought and didn't add much at all. Except that Celeste had more anger issues that we originally saw. I think they were meant to redeem her, or continue to, but they didn't.



Through the Dark by Alexanda Bracken

I'm so happy we got to see the continuation of Sam's story. The Zu story will always remain my favorite novella. My only real complaint about this is that Sam' second novella is INSANELY long for a novella, and the chapters about about 60 pages long each. It's a cumbersome read, but a good one. I gave this 3.5/5 STARS.



The Darkest Part of the Forest by Holly Black

This wasn't my favorite Holly Black book, but it was OK. I liked her other stand-alone The Coldest Girl in Cold Town more than I enjoyed this one, however, it was truly clever at times. I ended up giving it 3/5 STARS. I've seen her execute fairy storylines much better, and I highly recommend her Tithe series if you're interested in that.



Crimson Bound by Rosamund Hodge

I hated this. I would have given it 1 star if it weren't for the last 25% of the book, which was original and fit into more of what I expected from the story. The best way I've been able to describe the writing is clumsy, there are a lot of passages that are just awkward and don't fit in or make any sense whatsoever. There are also several times where the story includes things that don't work into the world and are thinly applied. There is no world-building at all, so I could be wrong about these things, but they completely removed me from the story. Overall, I gave this 2/5 STARS. I don't know that I'm pick up this author's books in the future. Cruel Beauty was pretty enjoyable for me, but left me confused a lot of the time, but this book was just nonsensical and a waste of time.

---

I only have two books pre-ordered for November, and only one I haven't read yet. I'm excited that this means I can catch up on previous new releases that have been sitting on my shelf. Both books I have pre-ordered are released on November 3:



Ten Thousand Skies Above You by Claudia Gray

I'm so happy I decided to read the first book this month (because frankly, I don't know that I would have retained enough to pick this one up in November), but now I'm pumped to continue on right away.



The Revolution of Ivy by Amy Engel

I've already read this, as mentioned above, but I have a physical copy pre-ordered because I need it on my shelf.

---

I also have the adult Harry Potter coloring book pre-ordered. I'm pretty excited about that. 




No comments:

Post a Comment