Monday, October 5, 2015

September Wrap-Up + October Pre-Orders!








I don't want to say September was a bad reading month, but it wasn't the best. I think last month just set the bar pretty high. I read a total of 10 things this month, and a few amazing things. 


The Martian by Andy Weir

I put off reading this because, while I was initially very excited for it, when I found out Matt Damon was starring in the adapted film I got nervous. So I waited. And I waited. And I'm mad at myself that I did. This book was HILARIOUS. I hate math and science, and it kept me interested during those parts. I loved it, and I gave it 5/5 STARS.



 Shades of Doon by Carey Corp and Lorie Langdon

This book series is super cute. It's certainly fluffy, and the third installment maintains the originality brought in the first and second. I can't really discuss it very much, because, it's the third book. However, I will say, if you liked the first two, you'll like this one. Also, the release info for the 4th book was in the back--Fall 2016 (vague, but still exciting!) I gave it 3.5/5 STARS.



Just One Year by Gayle Forman

I hated this. I had a feeling I was going to hate it. But I gave it a chance, because I only moderately enjoyed If I Stay, but I really liked Where She Went (these are also by Gayle Forman, in case you didn't know), but this was not the case for this book. I actually hated this one even more. The main character is even more pretentious and absurd as he appeared in the first one, and his nomad tendencies and impossible coincidences made this a terrible journey. This is not a love story duology to me, this is a story of co-dependence, depression, and immaturity. I gave this 1.5/5 STARS.



Sweet Temptation by Wendy Higgins

#1, I'm so, so, so happy this book even exists. I ADORED Sweet Evil when I first read it, and when it started to gain popularity, I was happy so many were loving this series. Wendy Higgins astonished me when she announced this book. I'm so happy Kaiden and Anna are so well loved. That being said, I thought this book was ok. You need to read it if you read the rest of the series, but overall, I don't know that Kai's perspective added that much to the story. I felt it was a little all over the place and trying really hard to be sexual. At the end of the day, if this were any situation and I felt this way, it would have been a 3/5, but this series is great, Anna and Kai make me smile, and the scene at the end made me cry. Again. I gave it 4/5 STARS


Snow Like Ashes by Sarah Raasch

I started out not loving this book, there was SO MUCH world building, but the main character sucked me in. Meira is pretty kickass. She eventually won me over and I ended up giving this 4/5 STARS.


Morning Glories Volume 1 by Nick Spencer and Joe Eisma

I've really ventured into graphic novels this year, but this one was a let down. I didn't like the story, and the art work was kind of confusing. I gave this 2/5 STARS.




Saga Volume 4 & Volume 5 by Brian K. Vaughn and Fiona Staples

More great installments in this series, Volume 5 was my all time favorite so far in this series. I gave them 4.5/5 STARS and 5/5 STARS respectively. 



Heir of Fire by Sarah J. Maas

This book took me almost the entire month to finish, and I didn't really enjoy it. I see what Maas was trying to do--add a variety of characters and perspectives, but because they hadn't been there in the first two books, it felt clunky and unnecessary. In addition, I wasn't invested in the new storylines and they felt like they hijacked the story. I gave this 3/5 STARS



Why Not Me? by Mindy Kaling

I loved this. Mindy Kaling's first memoir was great, but this one was even more funny and relatable. I think her first one was more an introduction, and this one was more about just being her. I read this in one day, 5/5 STARS



---


I have 4 books pre-ordered for the month of October.

Coming out on October 6:



The Rest of Us Just Live Here by Patrick Ness

I have yet to read a book by Patrick Ness, even though I own several, but none of them have shouted at me in the way this one does. I can't wait to read it. 



A Thousand Nights by E. K. Johnston

Rather excitedly, I have the U.K. edition of this book ordered. It's supposed to be a stand-alone, so I justified almost double the price. But after I saw Sammy Jo Custard's Instagram photos of the U.K. edition, I couldn't help it. I will now share them with you. 



Coming out on October 13



Happily Ever After by Kiera Cass

I've already read 2 of the 4 novellas included in this. But whatever. I want the bind-up. And another Selection book for my shelf. It also has a lot of extra things, like scenes from Celeste's perspective, a Where Are They Now? section, and a map of the nation. I'm pretty excited for it. 

Ice Like Fire by Sarah Raasch

The sequel to Snow Like Ashes, which is why I read it this month. Woot! 



No comments:

Post a Comment