Tuesday, September 1, 2015

August Wrap-Up + September Pre-Orders

HEY THERE!

So, I read a total of 10 things in August, and while that's not the most I've ever read in a month, this has definitely been one of the BEST reading months I've had in a while. Almost everything I read was absolutely stellar. I'll just get right into it.


 
Jubilee Manor by Bethany Hagen

This is the sequel to Landry Park, which was one of my favorite books of 2014. Jubilee Manor is a very different kind of book than Landry Park was. I continuously describe Landry Park as a Dystopian Jane Austen novel, or a science fiction Gone with the Wind. This installment fits in well with that motif, but it more of a science fiction Agatha Christie. While I think some of the dystopian elements were lost, what was added was an interesting sub plot and a political mystery. Overall, I gave this conclusion 4.5/5 STARS. You can read my full spoiler-free review HERE.
 

 
The Best of Enemies by Jen Lancaster

Jen Lancaster is one of my all-time favorite authors, and when she first forayed into fiction, I was nervous, but this book. My God. This book was AMAZING! You should read it. It's an adult fiction novel, but includes flashbacks to college. It should be required reading for women over 20. It's amazing. 5/5 STARS, 1000/1000 STARS, whichever.


Wytches Volume 1 by Scott Snyder and Jock

 I liked the idea behind this book, I occasionally found the dialogue difficult to follow because of the layout, but the artwork was amazing. 4/5 STARS.
 
 
Throne of Glass by Sarah J. Maas

This was ok. I tried to keep a level head going into it. Everyone loves this book, and raves about this series to no end, so I knew it wasn't going to be absolute magic going in (and that's why I've put reading this off for something like three years). I bought this book when it first came out--meaning I have one of the dreaded original covers, but I finally read it. I liked it. I gave it 3.5/5 STARS.

 
You're Never Weird on the Internet (Almost): A Memoir by Felicia Day

I adore Felicia Day, and if you don't know who she it, well, you're wrong. She was on Buffy, Eureka, and The Guild, she's friends with Wil Wheaton, Joss Whedon, and Ernest Cline. Get your life together! When I first heard about this book, I immediately pre-ordered it. When it arrived, I realized that I wanted to hear it in the author's voice, so I also ordered the audio book. Because I'm all about supporting people I adore. 5/5 STARS.

 
East of West Volume 1 by Jonathan Hickman and Nick Dragotta

I enjoyed this because it was quite different than other graphic novels I've read. I liked the wild west vibe. I didn't love the lack of character identification. You're going back and forth between past and present, and you don't always know right away who is who. Overall I gave it 3.5/5 STARS.


Court of Fives by Kate Elliott

This book BLEW ME AWAY. I had a tiny idea of what I was getting into, but that went out the window pretty much from page 3. I loved this. I recommend picking it up if you like An Ember in the Ashes earlier in the year, or the Throne of Glass series (because honestly, I enjoyed this SUBSTANTIALLY more than the Throne of Glass series this month). 5/5 STARS!


The Creeping by Alexandra Sinowy

I really loved this. I found it to be creepy, and exciting, and it kept me guessing. I wasn't in love with the end, but overall I really enjoyed it. I gave it 4/5 STARS. I'm a fan of Sinowy's writing style, so I'm glad to add another author to that list.


Crown of Midnight by Sarah J. Maas

I didn't like this one as much as the first one. I've been pretty skeptical going into these because they are so well-loved, and I don't know if that affected this read. I gave this 3/5 STARS. I hope that Heir of Fire is as good as everyone says it is.


Crystal Kingdom by Amanda Hocking

I liked this one. It's the final installment of Hocking's Trylle trilogy spinoff the Kanin Chronicles. I adore this world, and I loved Bryn 50 times more than I loved Wendy, and I really liked Wendy. But this wasn't my favorite. I ended up giving it 4/5 STARS, I'll probably do a dual series review on this universe soon.

---

I have SIX book pre-ordered for September.

Coming out on September 1:


Queen of Shadows by Sarah J. Maas

So now you see why I've been trying to get through the Throne of Glass series. Unfortunately I didn't make it, but I'm closer than I was.


Shades of Doon by Corey Carp and Lorie Langdon

I adore this series and I'm excited for another installment.



Firewalker by Josephine Angelini

I'm still iffy on the first book in this series, but I love Angelini's writing, so I'm giving this a shot. The name of this book has changed a couple of times. Up until the day I received the shipping notification, which was for the original title, I wasn't aware that they had changed it. So...I don't know what that means for the book.

On September 8:



Sweet Temptation by Wendy Higgins

I'm really pumped for this. I cannot wait to read Higgins' more adult writing, especially within the realm of a series I enjoyed.

One September 15:


Ash and Bramble by Sarah Prineas

I found out about this book in about May, and I tried to talk myself out of it. Because I don't know if you've noticed, but my pre-order list is kind of long. But, I couldn't. And I can't wait to read it.

On September 22:


Six of Crows by Leigh Bardugo

 One of my most anticipated released of the year! I cannot wait for this. I've already heard great things. I wasn't as obsessed with Bardugo's Grisha trilogy as some, but I did have a great time reading it. And I can't wait to read this one.

No comments:

Post a Comment