Monday, August 3, 2015

July Wrap-Up + August Pre-Orders!

Overall, I read 14 (and a half) books in July, which is almost twice what I read in June. So, I feel accomplished. I'll just jump into it.

--


 
Saga, Volume Two by Brian K. Vaughan and Fiona Staples

Saga, Volume One was my first foray into graphic novels, and I included my thoughts in my May Wrap-Up, but overall I liked it and gave the first bind up 4/5 stars. I actually enjoyed Volume Two even more. You get to deep further into the character's lives. My favorite part, other than the artwork, are the panels told from the perspective of Hazel. I won't give away too much, but if you're ok with some mature language and ideas, and interested in reading something in this genre, check this out. I gave it 5/5 STARS.


The Distance Between Us by Kasie West

 I've owned Kasie West's Pivot Point Duology on my TBR for a while, but I was in the mood for something contemporary, and this one has called to me from my Scribd for a while now, so I decided to pick it up. And it was adorable. The main character, Caymen, her mother, and her friends were all well-written and truly added to the story. Caymen's sarcasm and sense of humor were perfect, and I adored her. If you're feeling slumpy or love contemporary, you should pick this up. I've already ordered West's other contemporary novels. I gave this one 4.5/5 STARS.


Biggest Flirts by Jennifer Echols

I was really intrigued by the premise of this book, and ordered it's been on my TBR for a few months, and summer always puts me in a contemporary mood, so I picked it up. I really like Echols' writing style--this is the first book of hers that I have actually read (even though I see and almost buy them all the time), and the main character of this book was great. I enjoyed the story, but I didn't care for Will, the love interest as much. I liked how realistic this story was, and that there was a lot of opening for slut shaming that Tia stood up to and struck down. Overall I gave it 4/5 STARS.


Survive the Night by Danielle Vega

I did a full spoiler free review of this book HERE, and I was absolutely blown away. This was one of my most anticipated releases of this year, and it did not disappoint. I'll let you read the spoiler-free review if you want more details, but this was perfection, I gave it 5/5 STARS.

 
My Life Next Door by Huntley Fitzpatrick
 
 Clearly my contemporary mood continued, and Huntley Fitzpatrick ranks right up there with Morgan Matson, so I decided to pick this one up. And, let me tell you something, I thought I was in for a fluffy romance about a girl rebelling against her mom with the bad boy, but that is not what I got. This book was actually exquisitely deep, and amazingly well-written and thought our. I ended up giving it 4/5 STARS.
 


On the Fence by Kasie West
 
I'm seriously devouring contemporaries this month, and they're such fast reads, and summer-y...whatever. I'm not ashamed. I didn't like this one as much as I liked West's The Distance Between Us, because I felt that the sub-storyline here was a little overly dramatic, but I did enjoy the main character's brothers, and her growth was well-done. Overall, I gave this book 3/5 STARS.
 
 
Saga, Volume Three by Brian K. Vaughan and Fiona Staples
 
I'm glad I have this series a second chance, because I've liked both Volumes Two and Three significantly more than the first one, but I did like this one a little less than Volume Two. I like how the authors are slowly adding layers, and my favorite parts are still Hazel's narrations. I gave this 4/5 STARS.
 
 
What I Thought Was True by Huntley Fitzpatrick
 
I was so excited about this. My Life Next Door was such a surprise, with amazing hidden depth, and I had to talk myself out of buying this one at least twice before I just went for it. And I was disappointed. I don't know if it's my fault, because I went in expecting the amazingness that I got from My Life Next Door. I actually really disliked this book. The characters were all pretty one-dimensional, and the story was almost entirely miscommunication and teen angst--which is just less than I expect from the author at this point. I ended up giving this 2.5/5 STARS.
 
 
The Heart of Betrayal by Mary E. Pearson
 
I was so excited about this book, but I was also pretty nervous. The Kiss of Deception was one of my favorite books of 2014, and one of my favorite books ever. But I was terrified that the main reason I loved that book so much, the addition of the fact that you didn't know who was the assassin and who was the prince as they searched for Lia, was solved, and I wouldn't love this installment as much. And boy, was I wrong! I loved it -- 5/5 STARS.
 
 
A Book of Spirits and Thieves by Morgan Rhodes

Of course I loved this. Morgan Rhodes never fails to amaze. I cannot wait for Frozen Tides in December. My love for this series knows no bounds. 5/5 STARS.


Armada by Ernest Cline

 Ready Player One was one of my favorite books of 2014, and probably one of my favorite books of all time. I absolutely loved this book, just like I absolutely loved Ready Player One. I blocked everything else out, and I couldn't stop reading it. 5/5 STARS.



Rat Queens Volume One by Kurtis J. Wiebe and Laura Tavishati

I've been really interested in graphic novels lately, and this was a good one. I enjoyed the eclectic cast of characters, and the girl power. I gave it 4/5 STARS.



Just One Day by Gayle Forman

I was trying to get through some of my contemporary while it still feels like summer outside, so I picked up the Gayle Forman duology I haven't read. And I hated it. I liked the premise of this book, but from the first chapter, I knew I wasn't liking the execution. The main character in this book is whiny, and kind of dumb. The love interest is one of the most shallowly written characters of all time, and the side characters are just terrible. I ended up giving it 1.5/5 STARS. I one the second one, and am debating whether I'm going to read it or not. I've heard it's better, but I'm not sure.

---------------

I have five books pre-ordered in August.


 Crystal Kingdom by Amanda Hocking
August 4

This is the final book in the Kanin Chronicles, which is the spin-off of Hocking's Trylle trilogy. Because this is the third book in the series, I won't say much, but I will say that I love Amanda Hocking's writing and plots, and they never fail to keep me addicted. I think this series is my favorite yet, and I can't wait to read this book.


The Best of Enemies by Jen Lancaster
August 4

I've said before the Jen Lancaster is one of my favorite authors of all time, and that includes both her memoirs and her more recent fiction works. This is the latest novel, and I can't wait for it.


Jubilee Manor by Bethany Hagen
August 11

This is the sequel to Hagen's Landry Park, which came out last year, and was one of my favorite books of 2014. I cannot wait to inhale this novel the same way I did Landry Park. And this cover change is gorgeous! I received an ARC of this from the publisher, and it's the 1/2 book that I've read so far this month.


Court of Fives by Kate Elliott
August 18

I'm ready for some more fantasy reads, especially in the fall. This sounds amazing.


The Creeping Alexandra Sirowy
August 18

I love thrillers, and YA thrillers are something I think we need more of. From the description, to this poster-worthy cover, I'm PUMPED to get my hands on this.

No comments:

Post a Comment