Tuesday, June 2, 2015

The Devil You Know by Trish Doller -- *SPOILER FREE*


*I received an eARC of this novel via NetGalley.*
 
 
Eighteen-year-old Arcadia wants adventure. Living in a tiny Florida town with her dad and four-year-old brother, Cadie spends most of her time working, going to school, and taking care of her family. So when she meets two handsome cousins at a campfire party, she finally has a chance for fun. They invite her and friend to join them on a road trip, and it's just the risk she's been craving-the opportunity to escape. But what starts out as a fun, sexy journey quickly becomes dangerous when she discovers that one of them is not at all who he claims to be. One of them has deadly intentions.
A road trip fling turns terrifying in this contemporary story that will keep readers on the edge of their seats.
 
When I first started reading The Devil You Know, I won't lie to you, I thought it was extremely similar to Between the Devil and the Deep Blue Sea by April Genevieve Tulcholke and Black Ice by Becca Fitzpatrick. However, as I got more into it, I realized that, while the plots and characters seemed similar, Doller did something here that the other two book did not--that is, make it believable.

The characters in this book were really interesting and kept me genuinely concerned and excited for them. I think that Arcadia's world was relatable, and her feeling to get away was something I think all teenagers have felt, and I enjoyed that Cadie admitted that she was being a little selfish, and that she was sincerely conflicted throughout some of her decisions. I liked her as a main character, and I liked that she felt like a real teenager, full of mixed teen emotions.

I liked the secondary characters a great deal, all of Cadie's high school friends seemed like they really belonged in this small-town Florida world of her's, and helped the reader understand what she didn't want to be and why she would go to such an extreme to get away from them. I liked how they played into the story, and didn't disappear halfway through. They also face consequences that seem pretty plausible.

As for the cousins, I liked them fine, I wasn't a fan of either, and their tones kind of ran together for me, in all honesty. Other than their names, and a scar, I wasn't really able to fully tell them apart until the end of the book when we reach the conclusion. However, I understood the need for both of them and the way they behaved. Although, I felt Cadie was pretty naïve and blinded by them.

Speaking of the conclusion, I did feel that this book was really rushed toward the end, but I think that was because the book itself was entirely too short. In order to take on the thriller-style the author attempts here, I think it needed more development. I also thought that the movement of the road trip made very little sense. Everyone just kind of went along and the locations, frankly, didn't add much to the story.

One thing I absolutely hated was the portion with the psychic. At one point, Cadie gets a Tarot reading, and it takes the book out of the reality-based world that I loved so much. I didn't like this section, and found myself rolling my eyes.

Overall, I enjoyed this book a great deal. There was some lack of development, and a couple minor annoyances, but I was excited to find out what was happening, and I rooted for Cadie.

I gave this book a 3.5/5 STARS, but closer to 4 stars than 3. I recommend it.

   

No comments:

Post a Comment