Monday, June 1, 2015

May Wrap-Up!

Overall, I read 15 books in May! Which is especially good given that I had two weekends I could barely read at all, and it's busiest month we have at work. I'm pretty proud of that number and it was a good reading month for another reason--I really enjoyed almost every single thing I read this month! That hardly ever happens!! Whoop whoop!

 
Finding Audrey by Sophie Kinsella

I received an Advanced Reader's Copy of this book, and I also have it pre-ordered for a finished copy. After reading it, I was pretty happy that I had it pre-ordered, because it was absolutely fantastic! I've read almost everything Kinsella has published, and I've loved them all, but this one is set about because it's YA, and because it's more serious. It is still adorable, well-written, humorous, and deals with a very serious subject in a very real, and amazing way. I loved this book, and gave it 5/5 STARS. I plan to do a full review soon.

 
I Don't Know What You Know Me From From by Judy Greer

I listened to this on audiobook while on a trip, and it was a great way to experience it. Judy Greer is a really amazing actress, who I'm sure you've seen in over a dozen movies or on TV shows--but she voices a character on my absolute favorite TV show Archer, and so I was even more excited to listen to this on audiobook. This was a cute read--especially from the author herself. It was occasionally repetitive, I wouldn't have enjoyed it as much if I read the physical book and not listened to the audiobook from the author. I ended up giving it 4/5 STARS.

 
The Girl on the Train by Paula Hawkins

This was a pretty good read. It held my attention, my only real complaints were that all three perspectives sounded really similar. I had difficulty telling which of the three female characters I was reading (aside from the names at the top of the chapter) until they referenced one another. The tones and characterizations were almost identical. I also found the timeline shifts confusing. I ended up having to write down the dates that things happened to put it into context with the other perspectives. I ended up giving it 3.5/5 STARS.

 
 
Saga Vol. 1 by Bryan Kavaugn & Fiona Staples

This is the first graphic novel I've read, and I was pleasantly surprised. I enjoyed this a great deal, and plan to pick up the second one. I gave it 4/5 STARS.


Ruin and Rising by Leigh Bardugo

I FINALLY finished the Grisha Trilogy! Please insert your round of applause here. This was actually my least favorite of the three books, my favorite being Siege and Storm, and I gave it 3.5/5 STARS. I was kind of disappointed in the decisions made toward the end of the book, I can't say anymore because of spoilers, but I will probably do a Series Review in the near future.  

 
A Court of Thorns and Roses by Sarah J. Maas

I will absolutely be doing a full length review on this very soon because I have SO MANY FEELINGS about this book! I adored it, I gave it 5/5 STARS. If this is what I can expect from all of Sarah J. Maas' writing, it is a CRIME that I haven't picked up the Throne of Glass series yet...even though I own them all...including the novellas. I suck.

 
Whatever Life Throws at You by Julie Cross

Let me tell you a secret about me--when I can't sleep, I'll pick up a contemporary and (almost always) read it start to finish. This book was no exception. I live in the Midwest, and this follows the Kansas City Royals in a fictional way. The main character's father signs on to coach the new, sometimes reckless, extremely talented pitcher. The main character and the pitcher are both featured on the cover--in case you need to see where this is headed. I had some hesitations with some parts, but overall it was a pretty good contemporary. I gave it 3.5/5 STARS.
 
 
Ice Kissed by Amanda Hocking

I can't go into much detail because this is the second book in the spin-off series from Hocking's Trylle Trilogy, but I loved this book. I think I actually like the Kanin Chronicles better than the original series. I gave it 5/5 STARS.
 

The Heir by Kiera Cass

I'm not going to say anything about this, because this entire book is a spoiler for The Selection Series, but I liked it a lot and gave it 4.5/5 STARS.

 
Ten Tiny Breaths by K. A. Tucker

Remember earlier when I said that when I pick up a contemporary I read it start to finish in one night? This is why I had to change it to "almost always"--and it was the exception to my almost completely wonderful reading month. I really, really didn't care for this. I hated the main character and every single choice she made. I hated her love interest. I hated the ending. I liked the auxiliary characters, and have picked up the companions to see where this goes. I gave it 1.5/5 STARS.
 
 
The Wrath and the Dawn by Renee Abdieh

I ADORED this! This was a really fresh and well-written take on what is one of my favorite tales--One Thousand and One Nights, or Arabian Tales. I gave it 5/5 STARS and I HIGHLY recommend it.
 
 
The Wicked + The Divine by Gillen, McKelvie, Wilson, & Cowles

I l didn't like this as much as I liked Saga, but I really enjoyed it. It's pretty original, and the artwork is gorgeous. I gave it 4/5 STARS.

 
I Regret Nothing by Jen Lancaster

It took me a really long time to get through this, but it was good overall. I've felt like Lancaster's books have been slowly becoming the same theme over and over, but I like it, so it's ok. I gave this 4/5 STARS.
 
 
Charmed by Michelle Krys

I liked this book, it was a fitting ending for the duology, I like Krys' writing a great deal, and it's been WAY TOO LONG since we had a good witch novel--and this set is really good. I gave it 4/5 STARS.


The Devil You Know by Trish Doller

I received an eARC of this book via NetGalley and I was really interested in the premise, because I like thrillers, and I like the south, and I liked the cover. So, yay! My first thought when I started reading this book my first thought was "I've read these books before." And they're called Between the Devil and the Deep Blue Sea and Black Ice. But I enjoyed this book more than I enjoyed either of those. It's a lot more realistic. Although it is pretty short. I'm going to hash out more thoughts in an extended review soon. I gave it 4/5 STARS.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment