Thursday, May 21, 2015

The Unpopular Opinions Book Tag!

I keep seeing this tag around, and even though no one actually tagged me, I'm doing it. Credit to TheBookArcher for creating it!

 
A Popular Book or series that you didn't like.
  • Beauty Queens by Libba Bray. I really like Libba Bray, and I liked the premise, but I hated this book.
A Popular Book or series that every one else seems to hate but you love. 
  • The Selection Series by Kiera Cass -- Everyone lambasts this series, and I get it. But it is just a light, fluffy read that I fly through.
A Love Triangle where the main character ended up with the person you did NOT want them to end up with (warn people for spoilers) OR an OTP that you don't like. 
  • There are a few of these, but the most recent is the ending of the Grisha Trilogy. I felt like our main character had been painted as having changed so much and grown, and in the end, I think she's gets a really short draw.

A popular book Genre that you hardly reach for. 
  • Mysteries. I feel like the ones I read are pretty good, especially if they venture into that "thriller" category, but I'm incredibly picky about them.
A popular or beloved character that you do not like.
  • Simon from The Mortal Instruments Series. I just don't like him. At all. Not a fan.
A popular author that you can't seem to get into. 
  • Maggie Stievater. I tried to read The Raven Boys and just couldn't get into it. I'm going to try Lament soon, so maybe there's hope.
A popular book trope that you're tired of seeing. (examples "lost princess", corrupt ruler, love triangles, etc.)
  • I'm a little tired of something that I hadn't quite put a name to until I heard Samantha from Thoughts on Tomes put it into words and that's Special Snowflake. I'm kind of sick of people being the only hope, or the plot couldn't go on without them and they're the most important ever. i.e. Tris from Divergent, etc. Sometimes this can be done well, but more often than not, it isn't.
A popular series that you have no interest in reading.
  • I feel like this is such a cop-out for me, but I will never read Fifty Shades of Grey by E. L. James. I know myself, and I know that I won't. I'll probably never watch the movies either.
The saying goes "The book is always better than the movie", but what movie or T.V. show adaptation do you prefer more than the book?
  • The Notebook by Nicholas Sparks. Also Forrest Gump by Winston Groom.
 
What about you? Are there some unpopular opinions you have about books I like? Tell me! 

1 comment:

  1. Omg I already wrote the answers to this tag and I'll post it on Wednesday, but this is strangely relatable! Your answers are so similar to mine. Especially with the Maggie Stievater answer.. I tried getting into Shiver a million times and I failed miserably.. I don't think I'll pick up her books soon.. maybe The Raven Boys? Something other than Shiver.. hahaha

    Also The Selection. I'll NEVER pick up this series. It doesn't interest me in any way.

    Great post! :)

    - Jumana @ http://booksbyj.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete