Sunday, May 3, 2015

April Wrap-Up!




Overall I read 10 books in April, which I think is amazing (even though my monthly average has been at least 10 books), because I didn't finish my first book of the month until the 17th. I would also say I had pretty crappy luck with the books that I did read. I would say I only really enjoyed about 4 of the books I read, and one of those was iffy. But I did FINALLY pick up the first two books in the Grisha Trilogy by Leigh Bardugo, and plan to finish the series in May, and An Ember in the Ashes was an AMAZING stand out book.





















The Wicked Will Rise & The Wizard Returns by Danielle Paige

I didn't love the first book in this series, but I liked the idea, and the first book ended so abruptly, I knew that I had to buy and read this book just so I could find out what happened next. And honestly? I regret it. It was slow, the story was pretty hard to follow and boring. I might have been jaded (insert Aerosmith song here) by the terrible ebook that was The Wizard Returns. It was the most unnecessary ebook I've ever read. It didn't even feel like the same world or author. I gave both 2 STARS.
 
 
Miss Mayhem by Rachel Hawkins

I've made no secret of my love for Rebel Belle, or (my spirit animal) Rachel Hawkins, but I have to be honest, I wasn't in love with this follow-up. It was good, I won't say it wasn't, I just think Rebel Belle set the bar so high that there was a guarantee that this would either be the best book ever or a slight let down. I still gave it 4 1/2 STARS because I felt that it was fitting, funny, and very well-written.
 
 
Death and the Girl Next Door by Darynda Jones

So, I mentioned in my March Wrap-Up and my review of the Into the Dark series by Bree DeSpain that I'm a complete sucker for Persephone/Hades re-tellings. And this seemed like one of those. When I bought the entire series on BookOutlet. Because...well, that's how your TBR grows to more than 800 books. I didn't love it. It was extremely confusing, there wasn't a complete story, and there was a lot going on. It honestly felt like three different books put into three hundred pages. Overall I gave it 2 1/2 STARS. I'll probably read the next book, just to see if it's any better.
 
 
The Truth About Faking by Leigh Talbert Moore

When work gets crazy, and books can't hold my attention, I like to read contemporaries. So I picked up The Truth About Faking for a contemporary fix. This was an interesting book, actually, but not because of the plot--because that was pretty predictable, but because of the underlying messages. There were some pretty serious religious tones to this book that I didn't expect in a YA contemporary. But there was also a message, I felt, of lies and the impacts that lies have on people around them. I don't think the faking title truly applies to the couple in question, but to other people in the story pretending to be something they aren't. Overall, I gave it 2 1/2 STARS.

 
Panic by Lauren Oliver

Unlike most of the reviews of this book below three stars, my issue wasn't with the realistic aspects of the story. Because having grown up in a very small town, I can see how the majority of this book--especially the challenge aspects, were possible. My issues was more in the weird tangents it seemed to go on, and that it was around 200 pages longer than it should have been. I ended up giving it 1 1/2 STARS. Overally, I think Lauren Oliver's books are pretty hit or miss with me.
 
 
All Lined Up by Cora Carmack

Again with the contemporaries to read quickly and pick me up out of a slump. I've had this book sitting on my Kindle for at least six months, so I decided to give it a go--mainly because I've been trying to give New Adult a chance, and Cora Carmack's social media presence made me want to connect with her books. Except, maybe this wasn't the right choice. One of my main problems is that I love sports--especially football, so to hear a girl complaining about football wasn't something I connected with. The main character was just someone I disliked overall, she was whiney and pretty dense. I might continue the series, because Cormack's writing was good, as long as Dallas isn't involved. Overall, I gave it 2 1/2 STARS.
 
 
Shadow and Bone by Leigh Bardugo

I have to say that I expected something different from what I got when I read this book. I can't quite explain what I anticipated, but what I got was an action-packed, magical world, that was a pretty good read. Overall, I gave it 4 STARS.
 
 
Siege and Storm by Leigh Bardugo

This was a pretty fitting follow-up to Shadow and Bone, and I liked it more than Shadow and Bone. Although, I have to admit, I'm not a Mal fan. I gave it 3 1/2 STARS.
 
 
An Ember in the Ashes by Sabaa Tahir

This book. My God. I just kept thinking that throughout the book. Oh. My. God. One of the best books I've ever read. Super original, super exciting, and very, very well-written. I'm hosting a giveaway on Twitter, that's how much I loved it. 5 STARS. 5 HUGE stars. I read it on my Kindle, and then ordered the hardcover. I loved it.


Normally this is where I would feature my May Pre-Orders, but I wrote an entire post about the 8 books I have pre-ordered in About Those May Releases

No comments:

Post a Comment