Friday, April 3, 2015

March Wrap-Up & TBR Shame (+ April Pre-Orders!)



I read a total of 13 books in the month of March, which I think is a darn good amount. However, I wouldn't say I was blown away by a lot of what I read. I was pretty disappointed overall. I read 10 physical books and 3 books on my Kindle. I hit a little bit of a slump after finishing The Winner's Curse because I was just so flabbergasted, so I had to pick up some fluffy books.
 
 

Gathering Darkness by Morgan Rhodes
Amazing. This series is my absolute favorite fantasy series that I have ever read, and one of my favorites of all time. I can’t rave enough about it. And I need Frozen Tides in my hands immediately.
 
Doon & Destined for Doon by Carey Corp and Lorie Langdon
So I was halfway through Doon, and I was loving it. And then I entered a poster giveaway on Instagram that the authors were hosting—and I won. I won two GORGEOUS signed posters, so after I loved Doon, I knew I had to by Destined for Doon immediately. And then I devoured that too. And then I broke my book buying ban and pre-ordered Shades of Doon. So…those are my thoughts. I have a longer review HERE, but I HIGHLY recommend this series. 4 ½ STARS, and 4 STARS respectively.
 
Unleashed by Sophie Jordan
Fuck this book. 1 STAR

(Note: I know I should write more, but I can't. This is probably my reading disappointment in 2015 so far.)
 
Origin & Opposition by Jennifer L. Armentrout
These are the 4th and 5th books in the Lux series by Jennifer L. Armentrout, so I can’t give too many details. They were a fitting end for the series, although I enjoyed the first half of the series more. I love and hate Jennifer L. Armentrout, so I go back and forth on whether or not I’m enjoying her books. I gave them 3 STARS and 3 STARS.
 
Everyone I know that has read this book, loves it. I’ve been moving away from younger narrators (16 and below), and I found the 17 year old in this book to read more like a 12 year old. I didn’t love, although I loved the premise of the letters and them being sent. It was predictable (but most contemporaries are) and it was light and fluffy. 3 STARS.
 
The Winner’s Crime by Marie Rutoski
I mean. What? Wow. What? How? I literally couldn’t handle the end of this book. I had to reread the last chapter twice. I had to jump off my intended March TBR in order to recover, and read some light, fluffy contemporaries (shout out to Sam from Thoughts on Tomes for that recommendation and warning). I have no more words. Read it. 5 STARS.
 
Vanishing Girls by Lauren Oliver
This was ok. There was a twist. An overused, silly twist that negated the majority of the story and the facts up to that point. A twist that was never really resolved. The book wasn’t doing that great up to that point, it felt slow, and then confusing, and then, a twist that I’ve read at least a dozen times up to this point—including in YA, kind of ruined it. 2 ½ STARS.
 
The Fine Art of Pretending by Rachel Harris
This was a cute read, I really enjoyed Brandon’s point of view, and it definitely lifted my spirits after the deep emotional scars from the previous book I read. The book was pretty fluffy, but it was fun and funny. The friendships were pretty authentic, but everything in general was pretty predictable. Also, there was some inconsistency with who knew about the yearbook grouping. 3 1/2 STARS.
 
During the YA Scavenger Hunt last year I won an ARC of The Eternity Key, the second book in this series, so I purchased The Shadow Prince in order to read the series. I didn't love The Shadow Prince at first, it was kind of slow, and there were some minor things that I found to be annoying (and I'll go into that in a longer review closer to the release of The Eternity Key), but I loved the idea, and the story really picked up. But then, I started reading The Eternity Key and WOW! I was just blown away by the pacing and the excitement. I could barely put it down. 3 1/2 STARS and 4 STARS respectively.
Red Rising by Pierce Brown

I went into this book thinking it would be similar to Ready Player One--a book I didn't expect to enjoy at all, but ended up loving. But it was less like how I felt about Ready Player One, and more like how I felt about Ender's Game. It was OK. I wasn't in love with it. A lot of things and thought processes didn't click with me. In the end I gave it 3 STARS. I'll do a longer review soon.
 
---

Now to the TBR Shame -- for the first time in my reading life, I've tried to stick to a TBR pile, but that's not working out for me. The only books I've been consistently reading in my monthly TBRs are the ones that I have pre-ordered. So, instead of a TBR here, I'm just going to list my pre-orders.        Deal? Deal. I have three books pre-ordered for April, including the sequel to Rebel Belle-- one of my most anticipated releases this year.

Releasing April 7:

 

Miss Mayhem by Rachel Hawkins


Releasing April 28:


An Ember in the Ashes by Sabaa Tahir
 
 
Rook by Sharon Cameron





No comments:

Post a Comment