Tuesday, March 24, 2015

Top 10 Books From Childhood That I Would Like to Revisit.

Top Ten Tuesday was created by The Broke and the Bookish, and it's awesome.

All links will take you to the first book in the series where applicable, and will link you Goodreads. Also, I only posted the picture of the first book in the series. Because I'm lazy, and some of these have 40+ books in the series.

So when I read this prompt, I read it as, "books from childhood that I would like to read again for the first time," which may be the wrong interpretation, but whatever, it sounded fun. Also, I had a mildly loose interpretation of "childhood"--my age during the initial reads of (at least the first books in these mostly series) items fell between 8 years old and 15 years old.

The books I loved, that made me fall deeply in love with reading are pretty telling about my tastes right now. I also decided to stick with books that were more age-appropriate. I find it interesting, looking back, that I adore YA now, but when I was around 14-17 I read "adult" books, and I mean adult. I read The DaVinci Code, Angels and Demons, Deception Point, and Digital Fortress (all by Dan Brown) Sophomore year of high school. I also read, and did projects on The General's Daughter by Nelson DeMille that same year. And that was SO no appropriate when you think about it. Regardless, here are the books that I would like to re-read for the first time now, that were more age appropriate then.


10. The Fearless Series by Francine Pascal
 
Talk about an intriguing story, this was one of the first series where I went all in. There are almost 50 books in this series, and I read all of them over the course of about a month and a half. I averaged at least a book a day, sometimes two. I still own all of them. This story follows Gaia, a girl born without the "fear gene" and her regular life (which includes spies, the CIA, a creepy uncle, and lots of loosely veiled mythology references).
 
 
9. The Left Behind Series: The Kids by Tim LaHaye and Jerry B. Jenkins
 
This was a really interesting choice for me when I started making this list. This is another series that has about 40 books, and that I was pretty invested in. My mother read the Left Behind adult series at the same time (the books were released together and followed the same timeline in the world. For example, the first book of the adult series, is on time with the first 4, much shorter, kids/teen versions). On the day a new adult book was released she would go buy all the latest books and we would binge-read in the living room together, discussing the major events, and how they were written differently. After the end of both series I went back and read the adult series and saw how vastly different they were, but my mom kind of put up with me ruining things that took a lot longer to get to the adult series. I'm a spoiler I guess.
 
 
8. The Jessica Darling Series by Megan McCafferty
 
This was pretty much my first time reading Young Adult contemporary. There weren't any witches, or psychics, or time traveling, or fantasy realms, just a girl--Jessica Darling, and her life. I enjoyed it a great deal, and when the more adult 5th book was released about two years ago, I picked it up. I didn't love it, but I was reminded of how your views can change. When I initially read about Jessica, I thought she was sarcastic and funny and everything was terrible around her. But reading the older Jessica, as an older Jessica (lol), I realized she was kind of mean, and pretty selfish. Luckily, so does she. It's interested to have authors revisit the adult versions of their characters that ring so true to readers who grew up along side them.
 
 
7. Old Magic by Marianne Curley

I've talked about this book a lot, it's wonderful, and was my first so-of fantasy, sort-of paranormal romance. There are spells, and time traveling, and kingdoms, and starcrossed loves, and I highly recommend it.
 
 
6. The Uglies Series by Scott Westerfeld

My first Dystopian (before that was really a thing). The Uglies (which is NOT a trilogy, by the way, no matter how Goodreads decides to write it--there are 4 books Uglies, Pretties, Specials, AND Extras), was such a crazy concept to my 12-13 year old mind. A world not like ours, where all the people are working towards plastic surgery, and then a group of people who refuse!? What sorcery is this!?! Apparently just the kind of thing I love, and am still obsessed with more than a decade later. If you love YA Dystopians now, I suggest you pick this series up. Because it's great.
 
 
5. Pride and Prejudice by Jane Austen

I mean, duh. Who wouldn't love to re-read this overly re-done classic for the first time.
 
 
4. The Mediator Series by Meg Cabot

Oh man, Meg Cabot pretty much defined my childhood/teen reading. I mean, anything by her (with the excepting of The Princess Diaries) was grabbed and read and re-read about ten times. I became obsessed when she was still writing as Jenny Carroll, and she's released a new book in this series in 2016 and it's the best news ever. Expect full fan-girling the second we have more details on that.
 
 
3. The Phantom Tollbooth by Norton Juster

I love this book, and I re-read it a few years ago, but it was more remembering that re-reading. It's funny, and you pick up on more jokes that you did as a kid, but I would like to re-read it without knowing what's coming.
 
 
2. The 1-800 Where-R-U Series by Meg Cabot

See The Mediator Series above. Jess Mastroni is a goddess.
 
 
1. The Harry Potter Series by J. K. Rowling

If you don't say Harry Potter, you're a dirty liar. Who wouldn't love to experience this series again for the first time? I mean, it's a defining item in most of our lives. I know it was, and is, so important to me. I still obsess and cry, and panic, and love when I re-read it and I know what's happening. I would love to step back in without knowing the end. I love this series. It is everything.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment