Wednesday, March 11, 2015

#T5WFamily -- Top 5 Books That Made Me Think

Top 5 Wednesday was started by Lainey at GingerReadsLainey. Lainey is one of my absolute favorite BookTubers, so check her out--she's always linked in the Awesome People section at the bottom of this page!
 
For more info on Top 5 Wednesday check out the Top 5 Wednesday Goodreads Group.

Check out all members of the Top 5 Wednesday Family HERE
 
This weeks Top 5 Wednesday Topic is:  
 
TOP 5 BOOKS THAT MADE ME THINK
 

 
5. If I Stay by Gayle Forman

This one is going to be kind of cliché I think, but it's one of the first books that come to mind in my recent reads that made me think. This book brings to the forefront of your mind how you would rate your life priorities, and makes you consider what you would do without those things. I don't want to give anything away for those who haven't read it--but it's pretty well-known for being about making the decision between living life after waking up from tragic car accident, or moving on to Heaven and the afterlife. It'll make you cry, and it will make you think about what you would do in the main character's shoes, and what you would do in your own variation of that decision.
 
 
 
4. Before I Fall by Lauren Oliver

Similar to If I Stay, this book will always be on my list of books that made me really think about life choices, especially those regarding death. This book is amazing, and it follows a character who truly grows throughout the story. This book presents similar themes to If I Stay, but more in depth and self-sacrificing. I adore this book, and I honestly still don't know what I would do if I were in Samantha's position. Also, this book is currently only $2.99 on Kindle, so if you're looking for a great read, I really, really recommend it!

 
 
3. The Pact by Jodi Picoult

I'm not 100% sure why all the books on my list are about death, dying, and suicide, I think that says something about me and what speaks to my emotions in a book. But this one is no exception. This story is about the aftermath of a tragedy that befalls two families who have been friends for generations--and put their hopes and dreams in their teenagers. Jodi Picoult is one of my favorite authors to read when I'm in the mood to ponder on what I thought were black and white issues, she truly finds that gray area and asks where you would stand. Even now I go back and forth on how I would feel if I were each person in this story.

 
2. The Virgin Suicides by Jeffrey Eugenides


I read this book in high school, and it is always in my mind when I think about unanswered questions or when I'm thinking about big picture issues. This book gets some criticism because of how open-ended the conclusion is. I hope this isn't a spoiler, but it deals with suicide and familial pressure, and young love. And it leaves you with a lot of unresolved issues, questions, and plot points. But I think that's the point. Any time someone dies, especially if that person takes their own life, no one has the answers Ever. Those answers died with that person. And the author gives us that feeling and truth.
 
 
1. Dark Places by Gillian Flynn

This is my second favorite of Flynn's three published books, and all of her books made me think about a lot of things. However, Sharp Objects and Gone Girl had more defined good guys and bad guys than Dark Places did. This book will take you to places exactly the way the title describes--they are dark. The thoughts you have and the questions you ask yourself while and after reading this book will leave you feeling off kilter and gritty. I love all books that make me feel like that.

Do you have a book that made you think that I didn't mention? Leave it below! I'd love to hear what leaves you with feelings like that!

 

No comments:

Post a Comment