Sunday, March 8, 2015

February Wrap-Up & March TBR.

I read 10 books this month, which is exciting, but it was just barely that many. I really struggled to finish my last book of the month, but more on that when I get to it. Overall, I was disappointed by a lot of the books I read this month. I had pretty high expectations, especially for my pre-orders this month, and most didn't live up to my hopes. I also didn't do a lot of separate reviews this month--but be on the look out for them over the next few weeks, because I have a lot of thoughts on most of these. Mainly because of the disappointment. Anyway, here we go!

 



I Was Here by Gayle Forman
 
You can read my spoiler-free review HERE

Overall I gave this book 3 STARS. It was lacking a lot of things, and didn't go as in depth or as dark and emotional as Forman's book usually do. This kicked off my disappointment for the month. It was a kind of slow read. I did appreciate the relationships--the auxiliary characters, especially Meg's roommates, were my favorite part. It just wasn't as good as I expected. I didn't cry.

 
Rebel Spring by Morgan Rhodes

I decided to read this next, because I knew I would love it. And I did. I gave this book 5 STARS. I can't really go in depth, because this is the sequel to the first book in the series. If you aren't reading this series, you need to be. This is one of the best series I have ever read. I'm mildly obsessed.

 

Cinder, Scarlet, and Cress by Marissa Meyer

Overall, I give this series so far 4 STARS. I liked Scarlet the most of the three, but I was ok with all three books. They weren't the absolutely amazing, blow-me-away, best things in the entire world that I have been told they were. But they were good reads.


Red Queen by Victoria Aveyard
 
You can read my full, spoiler-free review HERE

Overall I gave this book 3 1/2 STARS. It wasn't super original, but the melding of several current series and books was exciting. I was pretty let down because it wasn't what I expected--but overall it was ok. But I wanted more.


Invaded by Melissa Landers

I liked this. It was cute. If you liked the first book, you'll like this one. It was pretty predictable, and a little slow, but I liked being back with Cara and Aelyx. I enjoy reading about them, and the way the world is reacting to aliens. If your read Alienated, you need to read this. Overall, I gave this book 4 STARS.

 
The Glass Arrow by Kristen Simmons

I gave this book 3 STARS, but I can't decide if that's accurate. This book was not what I expected at all. I own all of Kristen Simmons' Breaking Point series, and it's on The Great Stack, but this is the first book that I've read by her. And I can't decide if I liked it or not. It was kind of original, and very different. I think dystopian standalones are weird. Because you feel thrown into the story, and the world-building can be stilted. But it can be done well. I can't decide if Simmons did it well. Overall, I'm conflicted by this book. I'm currently working on a full review so that I can flesh out my feelings some more.
 
 
The Sin Eater's Daughter by Melinda Salisbury

Overall, this book was a 4 STAR read for me. I was pleasantly surprised. I didn't expect it, at all, but it was exciting, and original. I also liked the subtle humor, and the characters. I haven't read anything like this before. It had a lot going on, and the religion aspect that carried on throughout was interesting, and I think, well-done. If this is a series, I'll read the rest of them. It took a weird turn at the end, but the writing was there, and I look forward to future works from this author.
 
 
A Wicked Thing by Rhiannon Thomas

This was my disappointment of the month. I was so very excited about this book. I love re-tellings, and the idea that Aurora awakens and flies in the face of all the things that have been planned for her for the 100 years she's been asleep really drew me in. However, it wasn't executed well. It was slow, there was very little action or intrigue. Nothing happens. I didn't love it, and it took me forever to read. Overall, I gave this 2 STARS on Goodreads.

 

And now, MARCH TBR:

 
Since I absolutely failed at my February TBR Jar Challenge--to read an entire series all the way through, with the intention of reading the Shadow and Bone series by Leigh Bardugo--it will carry over to March. I added my March TBR pull, which is to read a book that has been on my shelf for over a year, which kind of applies to the Shadow and Bone series, so, DOUBLE HIT!

I also won an ARC of Burning Kingdoms, the sequel to Perfect Ruin by Lauren DeStafano--and the book is released March 10, so I'd like to get around to that. I have three books pre-ordered, and those are:
 
 
The Winner's Crime by Marie Rutoski (out March 3)
 
 
Vanishing Girls by Lauren Oliver (out March 10)
 
 
 
 
The Wicked Will Rise by Danielle Paige (out March 31)
 
That I hope to get through in the month as well.

No comments:

Post a Comment