Monday, December 22, 2014

TOP TEN TUESDAY (Sort of) -- Books I'm Looking Forward to in 2015.


I had worked on my lists for the last few Top Ten Tuesdays (props to the Broke and the Bookish, whoop whoop), but, as you all know I had a family tragedy. But I still wanted to post these out there (plus it gives me something to do). So, this is the Top 10 from December 2.




10. "Unleashed" by Sophie Jordan

February 24, 2015


I can't really put much of a description on this, because it's a sequel to Jordan's 2014 novel, "Uninvited." I really enjoyed "Uninvited," which follows privileged Davy Hamilton when she is diagnosed as having homicide or violence genes. I generally liked this book, all the way up until the end--which is why it is so low on this list. Toward the end of the book, Jordan took on a preachy, holier than thou tone when it came to anti-violence movements and class warfare. 





This is on here because I loved DeStefano's "Wither" trilogy. I only kind of liked the first book in this series, "Internment," but I'm hoping it gets better. This is another sequel, so I'll keep it light--"Internment" is about a world in the clouds, with a main character that strives to know what's over the edge, a forbidden desire. The world of Internment is almost steam punk, but also fantasy. It took a lot for me to get into the story, and even more to get just barely invested in the main character. I'm hoping the sequel delivers.







8. UNTITLED (The 5th Wave #3) by Rick Yancey.

UNKNOWN PUBLICATION DATE, 2015

I was more excited about this book prior to reading "The Infinite Sea," which I considered to be a letdown. I hope we have more of Cassie in this installment. If you don't know what this series is about, 1. Where have you been, and 2. Aliens. Maybe.








September 8, 2015
 
This is an installment in Higgin's "Sweet Evil" series (originally a trilogy). The original trilogy is told from the perspective of Anna, and revolves around angels and demons, and the deadly sins. It's an amazing series, and Higgins has written this novel, told from Anna's love interest's perspective. She has said that Kaiden's perspective will be more...adult (as anyone who has read the "Sweet Evil" trilogy can attest, this is not a surprise).
 
 





May 5, 2015
 
I adored Hodge's writing style in both "Cruel Beauty" and her novella "Gilded Ashes," to me, both books were almost perfection. I could not be more pumped for this novel. It's not connected to the "Cruel Beauty" universe (but neither was "Gilded Ashes" so I'm not really sure why they are being adamant about that in the synopses. This novel, I assume, will be along the same lines--a fantasy re-telling of a fairy tale, this time Little Red Riding Hood.





February 10, 2015 
 
 
I've heard mixed reviews about this book, but I'm still excited for it. It's also one of the only books on this list that isn't a part of a series, so that's exciting. The description reads like a fantasy, following seventeen year old Mare Barrow, who is in the lower caste in the society Aveyard has created. There's magic ("god-like powers), class warfare, and a GORGEOUS cover.
 
 




May 5, 2015
 
I am actually a little nervous for this installment (spin-off?) of "The Selection" series by Kiera Cass. I loved the first book, didn't care for the second as much, but really enjoyed the third. This book takes place twenty years after the end of "The One"--and I won't spoil that series for anyone, but there's another Selection about to take place. For those that compared the first books to ABC's The Bachelor--this is the Bachelorette version. I'm worried about replaying old storylines, and the lack of details in the description, but I pre-ordered it, and I know I'll read it. 
 
 




April 7, 2015
 

Let me tell you something about Rachel Hawkins, ready? She. Is. Amazeballs. Seriously. She has this amazing talent for taking, what could be, a light and fluffy read, and getting you into a place where you can't put it down. I loved every single thing about "Rebel Belle," including the Hummingbird Cake--and I can't wait for the sequel. I don't want to give the first book away, so the gist of this series is that perfect (and kind of shallow) Southern Belle, Harper Price, is tasked with incredible abilities and the mission to protect her high school rival David. It's perfection.



 
July 7, 2015
 
Let me start by saying that one of my biggest reading regrets of 2014 was waiting so long to read "The Kiss of Deception." I didn't start it until mid-November, and, had I know how amazing it was, or that it would become one of my favorite books, I would have slapped myself with it the moment it was released. So, I'm not making the same mistake. I've already pre-ordered this one, and I cannot possibly wait. The first book follows Lia, a princess who is betrothed to a prince from another land she has never met. She makes the decision to run away before her wedding, and take up residence in a small town. There she meets two men--one of whom is an assassin, and one is the prince she was supposed to marry. But which one is which? The reader doesn't even know for sure until towards the end of the book. I loved it, and I'll love this one.
 



 
January 6, 2015
 
I really enjoy Amanda Hocking's writing style. The first book I read of hers was "Switched," the first book in the Trylle series. (Side note: my husband bought it for me for Valentine's Day--he basically went to the YA section and grabbed three books he hadn't seen me read. Because the man I married knows me.) I couldn't put it down, I immediately bought the second and third books, and cried when the series ended. Except! It didn't end! Hocking is writing a spin-off series featured auxiliary characters from the initial series. It's a damn good thing this is coming out in January, otherwise I might lose it. The Trylle series is about our world, except within it are underground communities of Trylle (basically trolls). It's an amazing universe. It's an amazing read. Read it. Before January 6. Then read this one.


No comments:

Post a Comment