Friday, December 26, 2014

Top Ten Tuesday (sort of, #2) -- Top Ten New to Me Authors of 2014.


I had worked on my lists for the last few Top Ten Tuesdays (props to the Broke and the Bookish, whoop whoop), but, as you all know I had a family tragedy. But I still wanted to post these out there (plus it gives me something to do). So, this is the Top 10 from December 6. All author photos are their Goodreads Account photos, FYI.

 
 
Rowell is the author of four currently published books, three of which I read in 2014--"Eleanor and Park," "Attachments," and "Fangirl," are all books I can attest are fantastic. "Attachments" has been my favorite so far. I have yet to read "Landline," although I am dying for it, I just haven't talked myself into purchasing it yet. All of Rowell's novels are contemporary, with quirky characters, and a touch of romance. She also wrote a short story for the collection "My True Love Gave to Me," the collection of Christmas/holiday stories by popular YA authors. I have not read it, but if the rumors are correct, she penned a New Year's story. She is set to publish "Carry On," the fictional Harry Potter-esque story referenced throughout "Fangirl." The thing I like about Rowell is the ease with which she tells a story--plot points don't feel forced, and her characters are relatable and feel true to life.



 
Forman is the author of several books, but most notably companion novels "If I Stay" and "Where She Went," the two books of hers that I have actually read, and loved. Forman's writing, to me, is emotional and raw. I cried so much reading "If I Stay" that I'm actually embarrassed to lend it out--hardly a page goes by that doesn't have some kind of smudge. But Forman's books don't leave you feeling heavy or burdened with the story--just the opposite. After finishing the companion book, I felt light and connected more deeply. It was an experience, not just a read. I can't wait to read her other set of books, "Just One Day," "Just One Year," and "Just One Night," and I have already pre-ordered her January release--"I Was Here."
 





 
Vega is the author of the 2014 release "The Merciless," and the upcoming 2015 release "Survive the Night." I haven't ever really found a Young Adult thriller that I enjoyed before reading "The Merciless," and I was very pleasantly surprised. Other than that, I don't really know a lot about Vega, her writing style is very descriptive, and very dark, and I like it. I can't wait to read "Survive the Night."

 
Krys wrote "Hexed," one of the most recent, original, and well-written witchcraft stories that I've been able to get my hands on. The sequel, "Charmed," is set to be released May 26, 2015. I really enjoyed "Hexed" because it was more reminiscent of some of my favorite YA from when I was younger, it was simpler than a lot of YA in the market now, and the main character reminded me a lot of Buffy.


 
I don't remember who first told me about "Landry Park," in fact, I don't know if anyone actually did, or if I just stumbled upon it. But the second I started reading it, I was completely hooked. Then I started looking into the author, and she's from the Kansas City-area, and I love anything close to home. I'm amazingly excited about the sequel, "Jubilee Manor," coming out August 11, 2015.

 
 
So, I know what you're thinking, and that's "Jess, Marie Lu has been popular for years, you must have mistakenly put her on your list because you forgot you actually read her books years ago...with everyone else." But, you're wrong. I just read the "Legend" series this year. And I loved it. I'm planning to read "The Young Elites" soon.

 
 
I obsessively read "The 5th Wave," even though it took a lot of convincing before I ordered it. I loved it. I think Yancey is an amazing SciFi voice, and I'm happy that I picked up the book. I really enjoy following him on Instagram and Twitter and seeing the updates on the upcoming film. I was a little disappointed by "The Infinite Sea," but the sophomore album in a series like this is usually that way--and in reality, I was only disappointed because Cassie had less of a presence.
 

 
A friend of mine literally yelled at me on two separate occasions for not reading this book. I just wasn't really that interested. The character's description didn't catch me, the story seemed like something I wouldn't connect with, and the premise seems pretty overdone. But then it went on sale on Amazon, and I decided to buy it, read a few pages, and one up my friend. Except, that's not what happened. I read it in about two days. It was amazing. I couldn't put it down, and it's become one of my favorite books. Every YA reader can connect to this story--and people who don't read often. I loved it.

 
 
So, I once had an Audible subscription, and it was a love/hate kind of thing (which I normally ship, but this time I didn't). The subscription was so expensive, and I would buzz through the books and would scour the website for cheap YA audiobooks to hold me over. One day I stumbled upon "Sanctum" by Sarah Fine, and it was one of the best books, let alone audiobooks, ever. The second book, "Fractured," was just as amazing, and then I had to hold on to a few novellas to tide me over until just recently when the final book, "Chaos" was released. Sarah Fine writes some of the most realistic characters and interactions that I have ever read. I am so happy I randomly found her.



 
I just started blogging a few months ago, but I've been reading for a long time. Up until I started blogging, I didn't really attempt to receive ARCs, because I knew there were thousands of others out there who would share with more than just their close friends. But one of the first books I was allowed to read prior to release once I started blogging was "Dead Over Heels" by Alison Kemper. And, it was absolutely amazing. After reading "Dead Over Heels," I immediately purchased Kemper's previous book, "Donna of the Dead" and they were two of the best books I read in 2014, and probably some of the best ever. 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment